FERRIS – The Ferris Police and Fire Departments impounded the outside wooden stage next to the Ferris Bar & Grill on Sunday.
Ferris Mayor Jim Swafford stated per an agreement made with Ferris Bar & Grill owner Richard Ho, the stage was to be portable – and moved out of the alleyway opening to the Ferris City Alley Park when not in use.
The stage, built in three sections, had never been moved since its construction, and was blocking not only the alleyway, but an electrical panel and the alley park gate.
Ferris Police Department Detective Walter Weiss confirmed owner Richard Ho and General Manager Bill Hamm had been notified by several “ongoing conversations” before the action was taken Sunday.
Swafford said, “The alley is to remain open so emergency vehicles could get through as needed.
“The stage was deemed a safety hazard.
“There are also gas and water lines in the alley.”
The bar was not open at the time of removal, and the individual sections were too heavy to be lifted by city staff, according to Swafford.
So, the two sections blocking the gates were removed by a flat-bed truck and impounded.
It was not specified how large the sections were, but Swafford said overall the stage spanned the alleyway.
When removing the stage, Swafford said several other code and safety issues were noted.
All these issues were addressed in a letter to Mr. Ho that was left at his home, and a meeting was requested with him. No citations were issued – pending cooperation in the matter with the owner.
- Log in or Subscribe to post comments.