ELLIS COUNTY – Governor Greg Abbott issued a proclamation last week announcing Saturday, May 1, as the special election date to fill the 6th Congressional District seat recently vacated by the late Congressman Ron Wright.
The candidate’s deadline to have their name placed on the special election ballot was this week. Early voting will begin on Monday, April 19.
Four candidates have announced their candidacy.
Wright’s wife Susan has announced she will run for her husband’s seat.
Matt Langston, general consultant for the Wright campaign, said in a statement, “Since Susan announced her candidacy, she has been working nonstop to ensure her campaign has the resources it needs to mount an aggressive paid media campaign that will take the fight directly to the Democrats every day during the special election. With over 150 endorsements and over $200,000.00 raised in 55 hours, Susan continues to prove she is the powerhouse candidate in this race and the clear choice for conservatives in the sixth district who want their values fought for in Congress.”
Also running for the 6th Congressional seat is current Texas State Legislator, Jake Ellzey who serves Texas House District 10.
In a statement, Ellzey said his priorities are “lower federal taxes, a strong national defense, a strong national border, ensuring election integrity, and building the U.S. economy back to where it was before the COVID-19 epidemic. Ellzey is strongly pro-life and strongly pro-2nd Amendment.”
He is a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy and decided to become a fighter pilot when, at age seven, his dad took him flying in a small airplane.
Brian Harrison has also announced he will run for the seat.
“I’m proud of the work we accomplished to deliver the America First Agenda that focused on empowering Americans instead of bureaucracies and politicians in Washington, D.C.
“At all times, and with every decision we made, our minds were on the folks back home, the people I grew up with in Ellis County, and the mom and pop small businesses struggling to survive over the past year,” Harrison said.
“We desperately need strong and bold voices in Washington who understand the power of this Great Nation comes from the people on Main Street.
“And we desperately need more Representatives who know how to fight AND WIN against the Socialists who have overrun Congress.”
An anti-Trump Republican jumped into the race for a Texas congressional seat.
Michael Wood, a 34-year-old major in the Marine Corps Reserve, will officially launch his campaign Monday.
In a campaign launch video, Wood said the Republican Party must not become “a vehicle for one man’s ambitions and grievances.”
He also explicitly blames former President Trump for recent defeats suffered by the GOP in key races.
“It is time to move on before he does to the country as a whole what he has done to Georgia and Arizona, two reliably Republican states turned blue,” Wood said.
Wood, a combat veteran who earned two purple hearts, is a small business owner living in Tarrant County with his wife and four daughters.
“The Republican Party has lost its way, and now is the time to fight for its renewal,” Wood said.
“We were once a party of ideas, but we have devolved into a cult of personality. This must end, and Texas must lead the way.”
Wood also said while he is not a politician, he believes this special election for the 6th Congressional District “is the first battle in this war to take back our party.
“There is no political machine behind me. All I have is my deep love of America and a belief that its people are fundamentally good.
“I trust they will respond to a man who stands up for what is right and speaks with courage.”
The Congressional District 6 includes the counties of Ellis, Navarro, and Tarrant.
- Log in or Subscribe to post comments.