Hutchins police chase takes to the streets of Red Oak


By Rita Cook / Staff Writer

RED OAK – Late last week when the Hutchins Police Department got into a chase that ended in Red Oak it wasn’t a routine chase because in this case the reporter became a part of the story.

That reporter was me.

Hutchins Police officers at the crime scene pointed to a wrecked car that had crash into a wooden fence at the end of the cul-de-sac.

Turns out the chase was on the street behind my home and when the suspect fled from the stolen car he was driving there is every chance he ran directly down my alley while I was sitting outside.

With all the sirens going I decided to walk to the end of the street and find out what was going on.

Hutchins Police officers at the crime scene pointed to a car that had been wrecked into a wooden fence at the end of the cul-de-sac.

Red Oak Police Chief Garland Wolf said, “Hutchins got into a pursuit with a stolen vehicle out of Wilmer that came into our city,

“The vehicle wrecked out on South Valley and the suspect bailed on foot.”

Hutchins Police Chief Steve Perry added the next day, “Our officers received a call at the Family Dollar regarding a theft in progress. When the officers arrived on scene they located a male subject matching the description given by the store employee sitting in a black Toyota Camry.”

When the officer attempted to talk to the suspect he fled. At this point the officers pursued him into Red Oak where he hit the fence and then ran on foot through a back yard evading the officers.  

“During our investigation it was discovered that the vehicle was stolen out of Oklahoma and there were stolen Texas license plates attached to it,” Perry added.

After searching the area for the suspect, who was described as a white male with prison tattoos on his face and wearing black clothes, officers returned to the Family Dollar and located a female who had been with the male. 

Chief Perry said the female subject was cooperating with police to help establish the identity of the male. 

For Red Oak officers, Chief Wolf said it was just an agency assist concluding, “By the time we arrived [on the scene]and caught up to it, as I understand it, the suspect was long gone, according to Hutchins PD.  “We helped with a perimeter, but we were unable to locate him.”