Home | Sports | Hawks grounded by Tigers

Hawks grounded by Tigers

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

RED OAK - The Hawks rolled into Terrell to take on the 0-2 (district) Terrell Tigers after a huge win over Waxa-hachie the previous Friday, but found a scrappy Tiger team that seemed to have the Hawks number.

After opening kick-off where the Tigers deep man downed the ball near the four yard line (not realizing where he was on the field), the Hawks defense quickly asserted itself forcing the Tigers to punt on their first drive. The Hawks offense struggled most of the night and when Ishmael Harrison went out early in the game with a shoulder injury that forced Dixon, Person, Bausley and the remaining receiving core to carry the load.

With the injury to Harrison, Person, who started as quarterback, was moved around while Satterwhite took over quarterback duties most of the night.

In the second quarter, the Hawks were able to drive down to within field goal range where Richie Barrientos drilled a 27-yard field goal giving the Hawks a 3-0 lead.

After the defense stopped the Tigers again, the offense got rolling and put together another scoring drive later in the second quarter when Satterwhite hit Dixon for a 13-yard touchdown pass.

The Hawks went for the two point conversion, but were unsuccessful and had a 9-0 lead.

The Tigers, who had been taking shots down the field the first half, finally got things rolling and were able to score before halftime making it a 9-7 game.

After halftime, both defenses seemed to control the game, but the Hawks finally put together a long sustained drive and looked to be ready to punch another one in the end zone, but instead, the Tigers were able to strip the ball near the one yard line and somehow returned it the other way for a touchdown and were now up 14-9 on the Hawks.

The Tigers defense now had the Hawks on the ropes, but the Hawks offense scratched and clawed to stay in the game, including a successful fourth down fake punt to keep the drive alive, but were unable to score.

The Tigers mounted a potential game sealing winning drive, but on 4 and goal from the one yard line, the Hawks defense stopped the Tigers and gave their offense one last chance to win the game.

The Hawks needed to go nearly 99 yards with just under a minute with two time outs. Although nearly impossible to do, the Hawks almost did it. With completed passes to the sidelines, a couple of nice runs, a helpful personal foul, and a key 4th down conversion, it came down to three seconds left on the clock.

Everyone knew where the ball was going and Satterwhite took the snap and rolled right and lunched the ball nearly 50 yards to the direction of Jeremiah Gaines who leaped into the air near the goal line for the game winning score, but instead two Tigers’ defenders were there and were able to knock the ball to the ground before Gaines could come down with it in the end zone.

The Hawks fall to 2-2 in District 15-4A and now face a tough road to stay in the play-off hunt. The Hawks go into their bye-week and will certainly make offensive adjustments should Harrsion not be able to return in time for their next game. The Hawks will host Forney (2-4, 1-3) on Oct. 15 with the scheduled kick-off at 7:30 p.m. at Billy Goodloe stadium.

Subscribe to comments feed Comments (0 posted)

total: | displaying:

Post your comment

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Quote

Please enter the code you see in the image:


Log in

  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text

Tagged as:

No tags for this article

Rate this article

Powered by Vivvo CMS v4.5.2