Local organizations are granted funds through HILCO’s Operation Round Up® Program
Operation Round Up® is a voluntary program in which residential members of HILCO Electric Cooperative, Inc. sign up to have their electric bills rounded upward to the next dollar.
Every month, the additional pennies, nickels and dimes are added to a special fund.
The Operation Round Up® Trust Board, comprised of representatives of the HILCO districts, meets once a quarter to review applications and to decide how the funds are to be allocated.
At their July meeting, HILCO Electric’s Trust Board voted to disburse $10,496.24 to nine organizations in the HILCO service area. These funds were donated during the second quarter of 2010.
Grant checks were presented on Thursday, Aug. 5 at the Whitney HILCO office. On hand to help with the presentations was Trust Board Member Richard Turner and Board Directors Ron Roberts, Jan Smith and George Thiess.
The following organizations were recipients of the first quarter funds disbursements:
· Aquilla Scholarship Foundation, Inc. (Aquilla) $500 - Funds for college scholarships
· Building Leaders Using Education (Covington) $2,000 - Contribution for the after school program
· Ellis Christian Women’s Job Corps (Waxahachie) $600 – Contribution towards four new computers
· Ellis Co. Honor Flight (Waxahachie) $1,200 - Contribution for Washington DC trip for WWII veterans
· House Where Jesus Shines (Waco) $2,842.50 - Commercial grade freezer
· Isaiah’s Place, Inc. (Whitney) $553.74 - Educational materials and scholarship fund
· Lake Whitney Ministerial Alliance-School Supply Committee (Whitney) $1,000 - School supplies for needy children
· Waxahachie Care Services (Waxahachie) $1,000 - Food for the food pantry/food bank
· Waxahachie Preparatory Academy (Waxahachie) $800 - Start up cost for volleyball program
Since the Operation Round Up® program began in 2001, more than $440,063.90 has been returned to communities within the HILCO service area. This has been made possible from the generosity of residential members who have opted to participate monthly in the program. Members may have their names added to or removed from the program by calling HILCO at 254-687-2331 or 800-338-6425.
The next deadline for Operation Round Up® is Thursday, Sept. 30.
Applications are available online at www.hilco.coop, or can be picked up at one of the three HILCO offices located at 115 E. Main in Itasca, 4581 FM 933 in Whitney or 300A Silken Crossing in Midlothian. Organizations can contact Jill Huggins, HILCO Executive Assistant, for more information at 254-687-2331 or 800-338-6425, extension 1142.