Czech Heritage Society to offer $500 scholarship
ELLIS COUNTY - The Victor Peter Memorial Scholarship is a $500 scholarship granted by The Czech Heritage Society of Texas to a graduating Texas high school senior.
The money is given to the recipient upon proof of registration in a four-year program of studies at a college or university.
The applicant must submit the following:
1. A copy of his or her high school transcript.
2. Two letters of recommendation. One should be from a high school teacher attesting to the student’s academic promise. The other should be from an adult attesting to the student’s interest in Czech culture.
3. A 200-word autobiography (Times New Roman font, 14 point, one inch margins on a separate sheet of paper.)
4. A 100-word statement explaining what he or she plans to study in college or at the university, and what he or she plans to do in terms of a career. (Times New Roman font, 14 point, one inch margins on a separate sheet of paper)
5. A list briefly explaining up to ten ways in which he or she has had contact with Czech culture. The list should be in order of importance, with the first item as the most important. Even seemingly small things may be included, such as learning how to make kolaches or visiting Czech festivals. (Times New Roman font, 14 point, one inch margins on a separate sheet of paper. A line should be skipped between each numbered item in the list.)
6. An original 300-word essay. Topic may be either:
A Family Member Who Represents Czech Heritage or A Family Member Who Contributed to the Czech Heritage in the United States.
(Times New Roman font, 14 point, one inch margins on a separate sheet of paper.)
7. A cover sheet including the student’s name, address, phone number, high school’s name, address and phone number.
All items must be submitted together in one envelope postmarked no later than Tuesday, Feb. 28, and sent to: The Czech Heritage Society of Texas, Victor Peter Memorial Scholarship, Pat Parma, 3311 Carolina Way, Richmond, TX 77406-9680.