Holiday home fire safety tips
Courtesy of Paul Davis Restoration
Ennis – Family gatherings, entertaining and festive decorations are among the highlights of the holiday season. According to the United States Fire Administration, during the Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, and New Year’s season, there is an elevated risk for home fires due to extensive cooking, decorations, home heating and open flames.
Paul Davis Emergency Services, a leading provider of fire damage and water damage clean up and restoration services for residential and commercial properties offers the following tips to make the holidays safe for you and your family.
Holiday Decorations: Decorate with non-combustible or flame-resistant materials. Never use lighted candles on a tree, evergreens or other flammable materials. Don’t place candles near children, pets or gift wrapping.
Lights: Make sure there are no frayed wires, broken sockets or loose connections. Check labels to be sure about the proper use of indoor and outdoor lights. Don’t overload electrical outlets.
Trees: Cut a few inches off the trunk of a live tree and fill the stand with water to keep it from drying out and becoming a fire hazard.
An artificial tree should be labeled “Fire Resistant.” Place trees away from fireplaces, radiators or portable heaters.
Fire Escape Plan: Make sure everyone understands the escape routes and where to meet once outside.
Smoke Alarms: Make sure your smoke alarms are in proper working order and change the batteries at least twice a year.
Fire Extinguishers: Make sure there is a working fire extinguisher in the kitchen, laundry room, and garage.
Learn how to use the fire extinguisher.
Fireplace/Chimney: Have your fireplace and chimney inspected and cleaned by a professional chimney sweep. Never burn greens, boughs, papers, or other decorations in the fireplace. Check to see that the flue is open before starting a fire.
Keep a list with important emergency phone numbers: Include police and fire departments, doctors and the national poison help line.
In case of emergency property damage, contact a licensed, professional fire damage clean up and restoration company.