Home | News | Community | District to name board room in honor of Grizzard sisters

District to name board room in honor of Grizzard sisters

By
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

WAXAHACHIE - As part of Homecoming 2010 festivities, Waxahachie Independent School District will formally rename the WISD board room, located at the administration building, on Saturday, Oct. 16 in honor of Mabel and Eva Grizzard. The Grizzard sisters were long time Waxahachie educators who served the district for more than 40 years.

Born in 1884, Mabel Grizzard was a teacher and principal at Marvin Elementary. She was one of the first women State Supervisors of Texas schools and she authored English workbooks for grades five through eight. Miss Mabel was an active member of the community, and in 1953, she was named First Lady of Waxahachie.

One of her most distinguished accomplishments was that as a founding member of the Delta Kappa Gamma Society in May 1929. Delta Kappa Gamma was created as a professional society for outstanding women educators. Today the society has more than 107,000 members with chapters in all 50 states and 13 countries.

Miss Mabel’s sister, Eva Grizzard, was born in 1888 and was a teacher and principal at Ferris Elementary, currently the site of the Waxahachie ISD administration building on North Gibson street. Miss Eva served the district for more than four decades.

Like her sister, Miss Eva was also quite active in the Waxahachie community serving in a number of organizations including the Garden Club, Heirloom Club and the Ellis County Historical Survey Society. In 1967, she was named the First Lady of Waxahachie.

Both sisters served the district with commitment and dedication and loved children. Miss Mabel and Miss Eva are fondly remembered by those graduates of WHS who were children in the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s.

The dedication will consist of a "come and go" style and Waxahachie ISD would like to invite the public to this event on Saturday, Oct. 16 from 2-4 p.m. at the Waxahachie ISD Administration Building. For more information, contact the Office of Public Relations at 972-923-4631.


Subscribe to comments feed Comments (0 posted)

total: | displaying:

Post your comment

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Quote

Please enter the code you see in the image:

Captcha

Log in

  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text

Tagged as:

No tags for this article

Rate this article

0
Powered by Vivvo CMS v4.5.2