Home | News | Judge aware of suspect for 13 years

Judge aware of suspect for 13 years

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font


The Ellis County Press

ELLIS COUNTY – Nearly 15 years of waiting, a family will finally see justice served.

During the week of Aug. 16, Ellis County Sheriff’s Office arrested Larry Samples, 61, and Galen Boyd, 48, for capital murder.

Re-opened for investigation by Lt. Jason Westmoreland, criminal divisions unit, the widely known media case for the deaths of Robbie Biggar and her two-year-old grandson Kasey Roberts, are now back in the spotlight.

On March 22, 1994, the body of Robbie Jean Biggar was discovered near the Superconductor Supercollider facility in a field close to Farm to Market Road 66 near Maypearl.

Biggar was found just days after her grandson, Kasey Wyatt Roberts was found dead in her 92’ Ford Thunderbird, strapped in his car seat in a rear passenger seat at South Meadow Apartments in Red Oak.

Biggar, according to an autopsy done by the Dallas County Medical Examiner’s Office died as a result of a blunt force trauma to the head and Roberts died due to hyperthermia and heat exhaustion.

It’s noted in the reports that the vehicle had an "unusual absence of latent prints."

"It looked as though he just cried himself to sleep, closed his eyes and never woke up," said J.W. Grigsby, justice of the peace, pct. 4, pronouncing the child dead.

The toddler, according to reports and statements, was not suppose to die.

"No one noticed the child in the car because the windows were so darkly tinted," said Grigsby.

Reported as missing persons by Biggar’s brother-in-law and the two-year-old’s dad, on March 19 by Kevin Roberts told authorities the last time he saw the two was that day before.

Upon entrance into the grandmother’s home, it was apparent she was in the middle of making lunch when a disturbance of some sort happened.

Samples, of Arlington, was Biggars boyfriend and had always, been a suspect in his girlfriends slaying, was to meet with Biggar at Lake Whitney for a motorcycle race on the following day she was first appeared missing.

Money being the whole motive of the homicide, Samples was charged and convicted of criminal charges pertaining to forging Biggar’s name on a home improvement bank withdraw check and a quick deed bill of sale for Biggar’s home.

Reports by the Texas Rangers indicated that Samples was interviewed at the ECSO regarding the deaths and his second polygraph test showed signs of deception concerning questions involving the murders. The same report also indicated that Samples would not admit to causing the death of the victims, but indicated that the death of Kasey Roberts was an accident where he then told investigators the he would return on July 6, 1994, and fully confess to this offense on that date.

No additional follow- ups were conducted regarding his intention to fully confess.

Boyd, of Katy, was a friend to Samples and pointed to as a suspect during multiple interviews throughout the investigation where several witnesses had first hand knowledge that Boyd told them he killed Biggar and left the vehicle with Roberts inside of it parked at an apartment complex in Red Oak.

According to the ECSO arrest warrant, witness Harry Barton, serving time in prison and working in the law library where he studied law issues, was heavily involved in the prison church, was confronted by Boyd numerous times " wanting to speak to Barton about issues which had him concerned and he wanted to get ‘off his chest.’

After numerous unsuccessful attempts to hear from Boyd, Barton stopped clear in his tracks when he heard Boyd state "the baby was an accident."

According to reports, Boyd went into descriptive details of what had transpired after the baby’s death. Barton said that Boyd told him " if you turn on me I will kill you" after hearing about Robbie being beaten to death and the baby being left in Robbie’s car, which resulted in the child’s death.

A letter was handwritten by Boyd documenting everything to 40th District Court Judge Gene Knize dated July 4, 1994.

Barton voluntarily submitted to a polygraph test with the Texas Rangers regarding his statement and letter. The test didn’t show any signs of deception, indicative of telling the truth.

The testimony that Boyd relayed to Barton coincides and is consistent with the manner by which both Kasey Roberts and Robbie Biggars bodies were killed and found.

Boyd’s biggest concern, according to the ECSO’s warrant for his arrest, was his ex- girlfriend, Kimberly Reil, was going to tell law enforcement about his involvement in the offense because she was locked up and feared retaliation from her.

Samples and Boyd , arraigned on capital murder, have bonds set at $2 million and $1 million respectively.

The ECSO has been assisted in their ongoing investigation by multiple law enforcement agencies including the Texas Rangers, United States Secret Service, Red Oak Police Department and the Ellis County District Attorney’s Office.

Subscribe to comments feed Comments (0 posted)

total: | displaying:

Post your comment

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Quote

Please enter the code you see in the image:


Log in

  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text

Tagged as:

No tags for this article

Rate this article

Powered by Vivvo CMS v4.5.2