Commissioners approve $79,041,960 budget
The Ellis County Press
WAXAHACHIE – Ellis County Commissioners unanimously approved FY 2009-2010 $79,041,960 budget Monday, Aug. 24 reflecting a 20 percent decrease from last year.
"This budget made infrastructure and road needs a priority," remarked County Auditor Mike Navarro.
"We were able to balance the budget without cutting any positions" added Navarro "which is something that cannot be said by most of the governments in surrounding areas."
Ellis County Judge Carol Bush credited the court’s conservative financial philosophy across the board for accomplishing this task.
Commissioner Heath Sims, Precinct 3, read a proclamation recognizing the 2009 Ellis County Renegades Baseball Team for earning the title of "2009 Super Series World Series Champions in the 12U Minor Division" in Colorado Springs, Colorado in July.
Team members Lane Body, John Byers, Eric Cadena, Blake Lane, Auston Moore, Luke Morton, Jake Norton, Tristen Spradling, Dylan Stone, Bryce Todd and Tyler Welch along with coaches Jason Moore, Dan Morton, Stephen Spradling, Randall Stone and Gary Bogy were present for the reading of the proclamation.
In other business, Commissioners:
• Accepted the certification of qualified signatures on a Local Option Petition "to legalize the sale of beer and wine for off-premise consumption only" in the City of Italy and ordered an election to be held on Nov.3.
• Adjourned into a short executive session to consult with counsel a civil lawsuit against Lawrence Price for damages resulting from his negligence which caused damage to a county owned vehicle on July 14. Following the session commissioners authorized the Ellis County and District Attorney’s Office to file the suit.
• Authorized the purchase of Election Assistant, EA Pre-Converter software, EA Data Converter software, licensing and five Palm Pilots using HAVA Grant funds;
• Held a public hearing on the proposed Ellis County Tax Rate for Budget Fiscal Year 2009-2010;
• Approved the FY 2009-2010 Payroll Schedule;
• Approved the FY 2009-2010 Holiday Schedule;
• Approved the FY2009-2010 Commissioners’ Court Schedule;
• Authorized the incorporation of a Writ of Restoration to the Ellis County Sheriff and Constable Fees of $150;
• Approved the transfer of .329 acres of county property currently being used as right-of way to Jimmy and Bobbie Pogue in exchange for .4521 acres of property owned by the Pogue’s which will be utilized by Ellis County as right-of way associated with Franks Road in Precinct 3;
• Took no action on an item to extend contract for Grade 4 Pea Gravel for 12 additional months with no change in pricing;
• Declared Sheriff’s Office Jailer uniforms as salvage and authorized disposal;
• Approved the $50,898 purchase of one Roscoe #915 Wheel Asphalt Roller with Water Tank for Precinct 1;
• Approved the $13,600 purchase of a used 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup from Fastenal Company (APEX Fleet) for Precinct 2;
• Declared the scrap pile at Precinct 3 as salvage and authorized disposal
• Granted a one-time variance to the County of Ellis Rules, Regulations, and Specifications for Subdivisions and Manufactured Homes as it relates to 150’ road frontage requirements to H.E. Williamson;
• Approved a simplified plat for 2 lots in Precinct 2, Williamson’s Estates;
• Granted a one-time variance to the County of Ellis Rules, Regulations, and Specifications for Subdivisions and Manufactured Homes as it relates to fire hydrant requirements, to Jeri and Roger Hall, Precinct 3;
• Approved a replat of Ward Estates, 2 lots to Roger and Jeri Hall, Precinct 3;
* Denied a one-time variance to the County of Ellis Rules, Regulations and Specifications for Subdivisions and Manufactured Homes as it related to road frontage requirements of 150’, Ron Carter, Precinct 4.