Home | News | Take a summertime tax break on day camp for your kids

Take a summertime tax break on day camp for your kids

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

DALLAS -  Here’s a tax break for the busy summer. Many working parents must arrange for care of their children under 13 years of age during the school vacation period. A popular solution--with a tax benefit--is a day camp program.
"Unlike overnight camps, the cost of day camp may count as an expense towards the Child and Dependent Care Credit," said Clay Sanford, an IRS spokesman in Dallas.

Sanford said the credit is generally 20% to 35% of non-reimbursed expenses--up to $3000 in expenses for one child and up to $6000 for two or more children.  The actual credit is also based on your income.  The 35% rate applies if your income is less than $15,000, and the 20% rate applies if your income is more than $43,000.

For more information, check out IRS Publication 503, Child and Dependent Care Expenses available on the IRS Web site, IRS.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

Don't be confused by internet sites that end in .com, .net, .org or other designations instead of .gov. The address of the official IRS governmental Web site is www.irs.gov.

Subscribe to comments feed Comments (0 posted)

total: | displaying:

Post your comment

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Quote

Please enter the code you see in the image:


Log in

  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text
Nelson Propane

Tagged as:

No tags for this article

Rate this article

Powered by Vivvo CMS v4.5.2