Home | News | County requires permit for RV, campers

County requires permit for RV, campers

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

The Ellis County Press

ELLIS COUNTY –Residents wanting a camper or a recreational vehicle on their property – with or without septic hook-ups – will now have to obtain a permit, according to Department of Development director Delton Ake.

The county’s building inspection/permit agency, the Department of Development has come under scrutiny for implementing "zoning" ordinances on property and land owners, despite Texas restricting land-use plans for counties.

"The [commissioners’ court] Minute Order #98-355 requires a ‘Development Permit’ for all construction or development on the property," Ake said.

"Within the definition of ‘Development’ it lists ‘or other structures or storage of equipment or material.’ 

"If the structure is not to be used to house people and is not to have a septic connected to it, we will permit it but will not charge the $75 permit fee."

Red Oak-area taxpayers have complained they were still required to obtain permits despite campers of all makes, models and sizes not being connected to on-site sewage systems, or OSSFs for short.

Currently, county regulations call for permits on any structure constructed on private property. Ake’s boss, County Judge Chad Adams, has not responded to numerous e-mails regarding development-related rules and ordinances.

Subscribe to comments feed Comments (0 posted)

total: | displaying:

Post your comment

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Quote

Please enter the code you see in the image:


Log in

  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text
Nelson Propane

Tagged as:

No tags for this article

Rate this article

Powered by Vivvo CMS v4.5.2