Palmer drug dog dies after being left in a hot vehicle
By 08/21/2003 00:00:00
The Ellis County Press
PALMER - Tracer, the narcotics dog died Aug. 7, after being left in a hot vehicle during the summer heat.
When Police Chief Stephen Sparks realized the dog was in distress, he took the dog out of the vehicle and Tracer 'began panting really hard,' according to Ellis County Sheriff Lt. Danny Williams.
Sheriff's reports indicated the dog was taken to a Waxahachie vet, where the chief was told the animal had an 80 to 85 percent chance of making a full recovery.
Williams said the vet called Sparks later in the evening to inform him Tracer had died.
'It was a brain hemorrhage,' said Williams
Williams said the sheriff's department is conducting an investigation into the incident, but it appears to be 'just a freak accident.'
'He (Sparks) cared a lot about that dog,' Williams said. 'I don't believe there was an intention whatsoever to hurt the dog.'
There will be no charges filed if the death is determined to be an accident.
During the severe Texas heat, it is advised pet owners make sure their animals have plenty of water and shelter.
Signs of animal heat exhaustion include panting, glazed eyes, listlessness and heavy breathing.
Palmer Police Chief Steven Sparks did not return repeated messages for an interview..