Groundskeeper found dead
WAXAHACHIE – A fire sweeping through Scarborough Faire, located at 2511 FM 66, took the life of their groundskeeper Monday, Aug.22.
Around 10:30 p.m. dispatch was notified of a fire at the living quarters on the faire grounds.
“A structure fire I reported to had a gentleman staying on the grounds who was burned to death last night,” said Ellis County Sheriff Captain Brad Norman.
It took six local fire departments reporting to the scene four hours to distinguish the fire.
“I was there all night,” said Ellis County Sheriff Lieutenant James Saulter.
“Two firefighters were transported to a local hospital, one for heat exhaustion and one for high blood pressure but are all doing okay now.”
The groundskeeper, identified as William Ross, was 48-years-old.
Ross was the only reported death and no one else living on the grounds was hurt.
“ Seven structures, including a candle and souvenir shoppe, were also destroyed,” said Saulter.
While the fire is currently still under investigation, authorities believe the fire started in Ross’ living quarter.