Early News Digest: Thursday, April 21 (San Jacinto Day) and Friday, April 22 (Good Friday) are state skeleton-crew holidays.
April 19, 2011
- Wildfire Battles Continue at Possum Kingdom State Park — Nearby Possum Kingdom Fish Hatchery Operations Affected
AUSTIN – Wildfires around Possum Kingdom Lake today covered more than 150,000 acres, continuing to threaten Possum Kingdom State Park and Palo Pinto County communities, forcing the evacuation of several communities and closure of Possum Kingdom Fish Hatchery located just below the reservoir dam.
- Outdoor Grants To Texas Groups Focus on Education and Service
Austin – Thousands of Texas children will explore and learn more about the states’ cultural and natural resources thanks to more than $622,000 in Community Outdoor Outreach Program (CO-OP) grants from Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.
April 18, 2011
- Catfish Stockings in Houston-area Lakes to Begin the Week of April 18 News Images ATHENS—Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) will begin stocking channel catfish the week of April 18 into two Houston-area lakes that are part of the Neighborhood Fishin’ program.
- Texas Giant Salvinia Effort Reaches Boaters, Raises Awareness — TPWD Continues To Fight Invasive Plants, Gears Up for Zebra Mussels
AUSTIN – Survey results show last year’s giant salvinia public awareness campaign by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department reached more than half of boaters living within 60 miles of four East Texas lakes targeted in the effort and that 96 percent of those boaters said they were “more likely to clean their boat, trailer or gear as a result of seeing information or advertising.”
- With Help from Other Agencies, TPWD Firefighters Minimize Damages to State Parks in North and West Texas
AUSTIN – Despite the concerted efforts of dozens of state and federal firefighters, a wind-whipped wildfire that has raged for days in North Texas and grown to more than 40,000 acres roared through Possum Kingdom State Park Sunday afternoon, burning 90 percent of the 1,500-acre park. No one was injured and no structures were lost, though minor damage to one cabin and linen building was reported.
- Cinco de Mayo Celebration at Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center May 7 News Images
ATHENS—The annual Cinco de Mayo celebration at the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center will take place from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. May 7.
April 15, 2011
- Sweetwater Angler Pulls Rare Trophy from O.H. Ivie: Toyota ShareLunker 523 News Images
ATHENS—Faron McCain of Sweetwater went fishing at O.H. Ivie Reservoir April 14 intending to catch a big largemouth bass on her spawning bed, and he did just that.
Fort Richardson SP & HS
Lake Brownwood SP
Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center
Lake Arrowhead SP
Cedar Hill State Park
A directory of TPWD staff is available at: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/mrg.phtml
Mike Cox, News Team Leader, 512-389-8046 (office), 512-965-7574 (mobile), firstname.lastname@example.org
(Law enforcement and coastal fisheries, but he can be contacted on any issue)
Steve Lightfoot, Wildlife & Fisheries Information Specialist: 512-389-4701 (office), 512-565-3680 (mobile), email@example.com
(Wildlife, hunting and inland fisheries)
Rob McCorkle, State Parks Information Specialist: 830-866-3533 (office), 512-924-7165 (mobile), firstname.lastname@example.org.
(State Parks and travel/tourism)
Lydia Saldaña, Communications Division director: 512-389-4457 (office), 512-217-9479 (mobile), email@example.com
Tom Harvey, Media Communication Senior Director: 512-389-4453 (office), 512-565-3679 (mobile), firstname.lastname@example.org
Larry Hodge, Inland Fisheries Information Specialist: 903-670-2255 (office), email@example.com
(Inland Fisheries Division news)