Quick action saves life
FERRIS - J.R. McCall’s quick action saved a man’s life.
While out driving down the road Sunday, Dec. 19, McCall observed a fire off FM 660 and stopped to see if there was anything he could do to help.
“All these cars I saw just kept passing by, several of them, but none of them stopped,” said McCall a day after the fire.
“I stopped and saw a man go back inside, I followed him in and he had a prosthetic leg. He just collapsed with all the smoke so I picked him up and helped carry him outside while calling Eddie, the Bristol fire chief assistant.”
The smoke, according to several on the scene, was at the back of the home located at 3461 FM 660 in Ferris around 1:30 p.m.
Ferris, Bristol, Palmer and Ovilla fire units reported to the scene.
“The man, I don’t even know who he is, was in bad shape and I just wanted to help,” said McCall.
John and Sue Turner used to live in the house until they built a new one in 1973.
“It was a big two story house located just north of FM 660 and the 780 intersection on the farm was owned by Sam and Goldie Cole,” stated Turner.
“About two years ago, two Mexican Nationals ran off the road next to the house and were killed.”
Assistant Bristol Fire Chief Eddie Miner reported CareFlite was on the scene and transported family members in shock to area hospitals.
Nobody was seriously injured.
It’s reported the cause of the fire was an electrical issue starting up in the attic.
“This was my first time ever to experience something as tragic as this and I am just glad the family is okay,” said McCall.