Troopers increase presence along IH-35, IH-45, IH-20 for Texas/OU game
Travelers headed to Dallas for the Texas/OU game are urged to leave early and drive safe and sober. Additional Texas Highway Patrol Troopers will patrol interstate highways from Austin and Houston to Dallas, and from the Oklahoma border to Dallas.
Troopers will patrol IH-35, IH-45 and IH-20, and will be looking for drunk drivers, speeders, aggressive drivers and those not wearing safety belts. The increased patrols will run from Friday morning through Sunday night.
DPS recommends that travelers leave early for Dallas, whichever road they’re traveling on, to give themselves time to arrive at their destination safely.
For information on road conditions along either highway, please visit the Texas Department of Transportation’s website at http://www.txdotgov/travel/road_conditions.htm.
DPS offers some tips for making the trip safer and more enjoyable:
- Wear your seatbelt and make sure everyone in your vehicle is properly secured.
- Drive sober.
- Obey the speed limit. Slow down in bad weather and in construction zones.
- Before you leave, make sure your vehicle is roadworthy. Check fluids, tire pressure, windshield wipers, spare tire and emergency equipment.
- In case of a breakdown, move your vehicle as far off the roadway as possible. Make your vehicle visible with flashers and other equipment.
- Don’t travel fatigued.
- Don’t give into road rage.