Home | Editorials | Letters to the Editor: Responses to Barton article (Linda Bounds)

Letters to the Editor: Responses to Barton article (Linda Bounds)

By
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

This letter is in response to Megan Gray’s Sept. 2 article Barton would teach "God as Creator." Ms. Gray was reporting on an Ellis County Tea Party event where Congressman Joe Barton was invited to participate in a forum to answer questions from his constituents on where he stands on matters that affect us today.

I have been involved with the Ellis County Tea Party movement as a neighborhood coordinator since its inception back in the spring of 2009. Ms. Gray’s opening paragraph says: "Congressman Joe Barton, R-Ennis, led a theatre room of tea partiers willing to go out and re-elect him as their district representative Monday evening." This statement might leave an implied impression that the ECTP movement is endorsing Mr. Barton. This is not the case. ECTP leadership’s goal for that evening was to give Ellis County citizens a venue to get to know where their representative stands on important issues.

Often the general public mistakenly thinks that the Tea Party movement is just an extension of the Republican Party. Regarding this, I would like to quote a few lines from an article I read in the Wall Street Journal last week by James Freeman discussing the Restoring Honor Rally that took place in Washington DC on Aug. 28. "GOP shouldn’t expect voters to simply hand them a congressional majority without making them earn it…..Between Saturday’s crowd in Washington and the tea partiers agitating for limited government, we may be witnessing their rebuilding of the Reagan coalition, the "fusion" of religious and economic conservatives….. Reagan always believed that the Republican Party was the natural home for this movement, but GOP leaders in Washington need to prove they are worthy of it."

I agree that the Republican Party may be the more natural home for conservative thinking than the Democratic Party. And since the Tea Party movement is a conservative movement (not a far right movement, but a constitutional center movement), it stands to reason that we will support candidates or representatives who stand by, believe in, and will fight for the Constitution of the United States of America. Just because there is an "R" behind their name does not mean that they will not have to prove to us that they are worthy of our support.

I appreciate Mr. Barton’s 85 percent conservative voting record, but I have some concerns about the other 15 percent. I will be paying close attention to Mr. Barton in the next couple of years, and then I will decide if he is worthy of my support for another two year term.

Thomas Jefferson said it well in 1800, and his saying still goes in 2010. "It behooves our citizens to be on their guard, to be firm in their principles, and full of confidence in themselves. We are able to preserve our self-government if we will but think so." —Thomas Jefferson, 1800. America’s best days may still lie ahead of us, but it will take a citizenry that is actively involved. I would like to encourage all people to vote Nov. 2. The next election could be a tipping point. It may very well determine how your children and grandchildren will live their lives.

 

Linda Bounds

 

ECTP Neighborhood Coordinator

elliscountyteaparty.org


Subscribe to comments feed Comments (0 posted)

total: | displaying:

Post your comment

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Quote

Please enter the code you see in the image:

Captcha

Log in

  • Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text
Nelson Propane

Tagged as:

No tags for this article

Rate this article

1.67
Powered by Vivvo CMS v4.5.2