The candidates in 2008
David J. Smith
Editor, Newswatch Magazine
Meet the Real John McCain.
The following is part of a letter to the Maine Republican delegates from Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt, a senior policy advisor, U.S. Department of Education during the Ronald Reagan Administration.
"This letter, supported by many delegates to the Republican convention, is literally about saving the party and the nation from a maniacal neoconservative war monger, who supports a United States presence in Iraq for 100 years, and who is not really even a Republican.
"McCain’s ‘war hero’ image is a media creation NOT supported by the facts. McCain graduated 894th of the 899 cadets in his class at the Naval Academy.
Why would we want someone who was a failure and took his responsibilities so flippantly as our commander-in-chief?
"McCain was an irresponsible pilot who crashed six planes and started a major fire on an aircraft carrier through negligent action.
"Why would we want someone this reckless in the most important office on the planet???
"McCain collaborated with the enemy, was given soft treatment because his father was an admiral, and is known as ‘Songbird McCain’ by those who were imprisoned with him.
"He is the MIA/POW family’s worst enemy for his constant attempts to belittle their concerns and stifle their inquiries while serving in the Senate.
"McCain ditched his ill wife to marry an heiress when he returned from Vietnam.
"Is this the type of morality we Republicans condone? Is this type of heinous lack of loyalty we want in a president?
"He also has a track record of shocking verbal abuse including profanities against his Senate Republican colleagues.
"Sen. Thad Cochran, R-MS, says ‘The thought of his being President sends a cold chill down my spine.’
"Other senators relate times when McCain screamed four-letter obscenities right in their faces in the Senate cloakroom, like Dick Shelby, Rick Santorum or Jim Imhofe.
‘The man is unhinged,’ one senator said. ‘He is frighteningly unfit to be commander-in-chief.’
"The TRUTH is, John McCain is not even a Republican.
"He is a … LIBERAL in disguise.
"He not only can’t win this fall because he is so out of step with the majority of Americans and with the principled stands of Republicanism, but if we support this person for our nominee, he will likely destroy our party.
• "He was intimately involved in the ‘Keating 5’ Savings & Loan scandal.
• "He has been endorsed by the liberal/leftist New York Times.
• "He is a big advocate of the extreme ‘green’ global warming scare, and the economically horrific ‘solutions’ being proposed by people like Al Gore.
• "He has promoted illegal amnesty for millions of illegal aliens.
• "His McCain-Feingold bill has destroyed much of the rights of people to take part in the political process the way they see fit. This bill remains un-Constitutional and a major affront to the First Amendment on the right of free speech.
• "He is a big-time gun grabber who is an extreme advocate of restrictions on 2nd Amendment rights.
• "He opposes repeal of Roe v. Wade and opposes a Constitutional amendment to protect all life.
• "He is NO fiscal conservative and he supports raising taxes on Social Security benefits.
• "He continues his aggressive support for the Iraq War, which costs the U.S. taxpayer $12 billion a month, even though only 34 percent of Americans support the war. 4,538 Americans have died in the war, 29,780 have been wounded, 300,000 soldiers are suffering from major depression and 320,000 received brain injuries, all as a result of this unconstitutional and immoral war (statistics are up to the present in writing this letter).
"… In short, he is a media creation and the darling of the Trotskyite [socialist] neoconservative warmongers who have hijacked our party.
"He does not support our own [Republican] platform."